Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Valmont vs. Valmont

...I am watching the 1989 film Valmont, to see how it stacks up against Dangerous Liaisons.  Particularly, how Colin Firth's Valmont compares to Malkovich's Valmont.

So far,  I feel like I'm watching a made for tv movie.  Colin Firth is charming and has a cute smile, but he is NOT Valmont.  He is playing it almost comically.  

I don't see Faruza Balk (sp?) as anything besides that crazy chick from The Craft.  I think the woman who is playing Tourvel is extremely miscast.  Merteuil is much prettier but less cunning than Glenn Close.
And I'm just baffled to see both Elliot from ET and the principal from Ferris Bueller's Day Off starring in this one.

Not even halfway through and I can say without hesitation that this does not compare in any way to Dangerous Liaisons. At all.  Ever.  It is neither clever nor sexy.  It's kind of boring actually.

Malkovich's Valmont is the sexiest film character of all time.  Period.

I don't really even want to finish watching this,  I want to find my copy of Dangerous Liaisons and just watch that.

No comments:

Post a Comment